Bay St. History & Pirates
From architecture to pirate attacks, the downtown area of Nassau has it all to make your stay in Bahamas a one of a kind experience.
This avenue's history goes back to 1965, when Nassau was known as Charlestown, named by Charles 1 of Great Britain. At that time, the street was called "The Strand," and was just a cart path in front of the sea with a few shacks and palm trees.
Along the centuries, hurricanes and harbor activities helped renovate the street, making it a more commercial and highly transited area.
Shipwrecks, gun-running, rum-running and sponging were some of the interesting activities that made this area special and historical.
Down on the avenue are historic buildings on both sides of the street. The St. Cuthbert's Anglican Church, named by the most revered Anglo-Saxon Saint, now hosts shops, but the arch's of the windows provide evidence to its early years.
The straw market used to be a must visit for the handicrafts offered, but a fire in 2001 devastated the market and it is now a convenient store. In the near future it will also house the Ministry of Tourism. All in all, this is the best place to get inexpensive bangles, fabrics and other world famous Bahamian handicrafts.
The early 1700's saw the Pirates era. Blackbeard, Henry Jennings, Henry Morgan and the cruel Charles Vane attacked Spanish, French and British ships on the Bahamian coasts. The pirate reign ended abruptly in 1718, when Captain Woodes Rodgers hung nine pirates all at once on the beach. Today on this site, tourists enjoy the sun and watch cruises sail by on the Nassau harbor.
This shopping area is not only known for wonderful duty-free designer goods and items, but for the historic buildings that house elegant stores such as Fendi, Diamonds Forever, and Colombian Emeralds.
Junkanoo Summer Fest
Woodes Rodgers Walk Street Party
Box Cart Derby
Cultural & Heritage Festival at Arawak Cay
Olde Town Jazz at the Oyster Bar